If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, May 5, 2014

Whoopie Pies 巧克力无比派


My family are big fan of chocolate. We bought many chocolate related products from London the other day. One of the snack caught my attention was the small cubes of brownies, it shape like chocolate cubes, but taste like brownie (of course taste like brownie, LOL)..After a week, all snacks have gone and my son keep asking me to buy more chocolate for him. So I was thinking to make some chocolate snack for them, and remind this whoopie pies that I seen many bloggers did earlier.






I halved the original recipe, but some how I wrongly add 1 egg instead of half egg. Luckily the cookies still turned out great, taste like dry sponge cake..



 As for the chocolate ganache, this is the best ganache I had so far, so smooth and good!


I adapted the recipe from Bake for Happy Kids, but I have to made few adjustments due to we are living in difference climate. How long I beat the chocolate mixture, it wouldn't turned thick, so I have to place it over a bowl of iced water, then very fast it turned thick and fluffy. Anyway, you have to store this chocolate ganache in the fridge, because it melt very fast in our hot weather here. Also I changed semi sweet chocolate to milk chocolate as i found the cookies are less sweet..




Whoopie Pies 巧克力无比派
*makes about 15 filled pies 
115g plain flour ( I use cake flour)
37g cocoa powder
1/2tsp coffee powder
1/2tsp baking powder
1/8tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
85g unsalted butter (room temp)
1/2tsp Vanilla extract
35g dark brown sugar
35g white sugar
1 large egg
30ml buttermilk (I replaced with 30ml milk + few drop of lemon juices, stand for 15mins)
20ml milk 
For chocolate cookies
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (fan forced) and and place oven rack in the center of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, coffee powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  3. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg beating well. Beat in the vanilla extract.
  4. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
  5. Drop heaping tablespoons (can also use a small ice cream scoop) of the batter onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. With moistened fingers or with the back of a spoon, smooth the tops of the cookies.
  6. Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until the tops of the cookies, when lightly pressed, spring back. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Chocolate ganache
*enough to fill more than 15 pies
113g milk chocolate chips (I use Hershey’s chocolate)
1/2cup dairy whipping cream ( 113g) 
Method
  1. Place chocolate chips in a mixing bowl.
  2. In another saucepan, bring cream just to a boil over medium-high heat.
  3. Immediately pour over chocolate, lets stand for 5mins.(don't stir - doing so will cool the ganache too quickly, making it grainy).
  4. Stir with a spatula till shinny and smooth.
  5. Place the mixing bowl with chocolate mixture over a bowl of large mixing bowl that filled with iced water.
  6. Beat it with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, take about 5mins.
  7. Transfer to a disposable pastry bag with a large opening and use it as a filling for whoopie pies.
Cookies recipe adapted from Joy of Baking, with changes. Chocolate ganache adapted from Bake for Happy Kids with changes




I'm linking this post to Little Thumbs Up (May 2014: Milk) hosted by Tze of Awayofmind Bakery House


29 comments:

Jozelyn Ng said...

i smell chocolate...here I come!

nandoos kitchen said...

oh wow! they look soo yumm..

PH said...

They look very cute! I never tasted whoppie pies before.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我也是巧克力的fan,所以,这个可以请我吃吗?

Victoria Bakes said...

my worth! I haven't seen whoopie pies for so long! chocolate sounds good

Mel said...

Whoopie pies are real good and even more so if using good quality chocolates. I love anything with chocolates.....they are so goooood!!

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

i always think that whoopie pies need a proper mould to shape it into round, you make it looks so easy to make Sonia! lovely creation!

Thanks for linking up with Little Thumbs Up month of May!

CQUEK said...

Want, want, want! Love everything about this gorgeous shots!

Tracy Low said...

我来吃派咯!

Joceline Lor said...

巧克力甜点,我喜欢。

chow and chatter said...

these look great what a fun treat

Cass @ 揾到食 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cass @ 揾到食 said...

My fridge has lots chocolate.Nobody want to eat, sigh...

Esther Lau said...

Whoopie Pies look like macaroon but I never try it before. May I have some? hehe...

Esther Lau said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny's Delicacy said...

Those whoopie Pies must be addictive!

Bakericious said...

Sonia, these whoopies pies are so attention catching, I want some please lol.

Baby Sumo said...

We also like whoopie pie very much - long time I havent made any. Yours look soooooo good!

Little blue said...

I also is a chocolate fan, can i have some....

Cecilia Yap said...

I have not bake Whoopie Pies before but seeing how easy you can make this, i have to give it a try too.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Me also a fan of chocolate... hehe...

Fion said...

I am very sure that this whoopie pie is very delicious,seen that we are chocolate lover,can i have some too..haha

Lite Home Bake said...

They look very cute, must be nice with some cold milk :)

Angie's Recipes said...

These whoopie pies look fascinating!

Sissi said...

I have never had whoopie pies but they look absolutely amazing and so chocolatey... Am I the only one who thinks about macarons seeing your beautiful sweet treats?

Small Kucing said...

my eyes are unblinking liao...yums yums

My Little Space said...

NOW...this is definitely a killer ! haha.... You should double up the recipe.
Kristy

Zoe said...

Hi Sonia,

Like the homely Japanese-inspired way of you presented your whoopie pies. They look very pretty!

I was a little worried seeing what you said that the pie taste like dry sponge cakes :p and realised that you did quite a lot of adjustments to the recipe. The original recipe uses shortening instead of butter and I have used much more lesser butter than what you added. I remember too that the sweetness of the whoopie pies are just right for us too and wonder if the reduced amount is ok for me :D

Another thing that I learn from you is I can't beat this ganache on a warm summer day! I didn't know that when I made mine.

Zoe

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , the ganache alone is worth making :D I used 280 grams chocolate and 300 ml cream last time for my ganache , I think I'll try yours next time .

Blog Widget by LinkWithin